AFS Directing for Commercials is a highly focused hands-on course that aims to teach participants how to approach filmmaking for commercials and offer an in-depth look at opportunities for a career as a filmmaker in the advertising industry.
It aims to train participants in conceptualizing and producing commercial content. Participants will gain knowledge and skills in creating compelling and effective promotional material.
The course is open to:
UAE nationals or residents who are:
- filmmakers looking to gain more experience in the commercial business.
- commercial filmmakers with some experience in the industry looking to enhance their skills.
- producers, agency executives or creatives who want to gain practical experience.
- advertising agency creatives looking to switch careers or have a better understanding of how to direct an ad.
Participants will receive training over a 5-week workshop. The program will commence with an 8-day intensive lab, followed by an opportunity to produce one 30-sec commercial that can be used to add to or start a showreel.
The workshop is designed to advance the participants’ skills to be able to:
- Conceptualize ideas and write scripts and treatments.
- Create storyboards, scout locations, find cast, shoot, edit and color grade a commercial.
- Understand the pitch process and how to pitch and work on an agency brief.
- Understand directing technique, lighting, camera placement and movement.
- Understand the relationships between the director, production company, cinematographer, ad agency and client.
- Understand the relationship between brand/ad agency and production.
- Understand the relationship between the director and all the production team.
Applicants must complete the online application form and submit the following supporting materials:
- A showreel (max 4 minutes)
- A written CV
- A written idea/concept for a 30-second commercial for a product (5 lines max for the idea, the tagline and the brand).
Work can be submitted in Arabic or English. Training will be conducted in English.
Shortlisted candidates will need to attend a personal interview.
*The deadline to apply for this program is Saturday October 9th, 2021*