Competition: means any competition, training program, or other activity designated by Image Nation as a competition, which shall include, but is not limited to: (a) the Arab Film Studio Narrative Competition, which is an instructional lab and short film competition organised by Image Nation that mirrors the process by which feature films are developed, produced, distributed and marketed (the “AFS Narrative Competition”); (b) the Arab Film Studio Documentary Competition, which is an instructional lab and documentary short film competition organised by Image Nation that mirrors the process by which documentary feature films are developed, produced, distributed and marketed (the “AFS Documentary Competition”); and (c) the Arab Film Studio Scriptwriting Competition, which is an instructional lab scriptwriting competition organised by Image Nation that aims to help screenwriters to write a short film narrative screen play up to the final draft (the “AFS Scriptwriting Competition”). Unless otherwise stated, these Terms and Conditions apply to all Competitions.
Entrant: means any person who enters a Competition.
Prizes: means, for the winners of the AFS Narrative and the AFS Documentary Competitions, the opportunity to intern at a leading national or international film production entity, and for the winner of the AFS Scriptwriting Competition, means a production grant of AED 100,000 towards the production of the script written by the Winning Entrant of that Competition.
Entry Periods: means the periods in which submissions will be accepted for a Competition, which are as follows: (a) with respect to the AFS Documentary Competition means the period from February 28, 2018 to April 22, 2018 (inclusive), (b) with respect to the AFS Narrative Competition means the period from October 1, 2018 to December 2, 2018 (inclusive), and (c) with respect of the AFS Scriptwriting Competition means the period from March 15, 2018 to April 30, 2018 (inclusive) or such other dates as Image Nation may select in its sole discretion.
1. Any Entrant who fails to observe any rules or requirements in these Terms and Conditions will be disqualified from the Competitions and forfeit any Prizes.
2. Entrants must be UAE nationals or UAE residents and provide appropriate documentation thereof, if requested by Image Nation.
3. With respect to each Competition, Entrants must either: (i) be aged twenty-one (21) years or over at the time of entry; or (ii) obtain and register permission to participate in the duration of the Competition from a parent / guardian.
4. Each Entrant must ensure that his or her participation in any Competition is lawful in accordance with the laws of the country of which he or she is a citizen and/or resides and/or happens to be at the time his or her entry is made. Image Nation makes no representations, express or implied, as to the lawfulness of any Entrant's participation in any Competition.
5. Unless otherwise approved by Image Nation and its partners in their sole discretion, the following are not allowed to enter any Competition: (i) employees of Image Nation, its group companies, agents or affiliates; (ii) employees of the Media Zone Authority – Abu Dhabi, its group companies, agents or affiliates; (iii) employees of twofour54, its group companies, agents or affiliates; (iv) employees of any agencies associated/ partnered with any Competition, including any provider of any Prize or any sponsor of any Competition; and (v) any members of the immediate families or households of any of the foregoing individuals.
6. The only acceptable and permitted method to enter any Competition is by submitting an application online through the Website.
7. All fiction films submitted to the AFS Narrative Competition must:
a. have durations between one (1) and three (3) minutes;
b. be in either Arabic or English;
c. include the sentence “Use your imagination” in either audio or visual form;
d. be a wholly original work of the Entrant;
e. be submitted in video format (of any type); and
f.must be accompanied by copies of all clearances, licenses, and/or other approval for third party property, including intellectual property.
8. All entry stories submitted to the AFS Narrative Competition must:
a. be three (3) pages long with font size 12 and single spacing;
b. be of the “fiction” genre, meaning the story is created in a constructive format and describes a sequence of fictional events;
c. be in either Arabic or English; and
d. be a wholly original work of the Entrant.
9. All entry scripts submitted to the AFS Scriptwriting Competition must:
- be a maximum of twenty (20) pages long with font size 12 and single spacing (if in English), and font size 13 and single spacing (if in Arabic);
- intended for a short film of maximum 20 minutes in duration;
- be of the “fiction” genre, meaning the story is created in a constructive format and describes a sequence of fictional events;
- be a regional story to be produced in the UAE;
- stay within a maximum total production budget of 100,000AED;
- be in either Arabic or English; and
- be a wholly original work of the Entrant.
10. Submissions must be made during the applicable Entry Period.
11.At the end of each applicable Entry Period, Image Nation and its partners may select certain Entrants to be interviewed and all Entrants so selected must participate in such interviews. Image Nation and its partners will select not more than six (6) entrants to proceed further in the AFS Narrative and AFS Documentary Competitions, and not more than ten (10) entrants to proceed further in the AFS Scriptwriting Competition (each such entrant being a “Final Entrant”).
12.Each Final Entrant for the AFS Narrative and the AFS Documentary Competitions must participate in the following Competition stages:
a. a residential full-time scriptwriting/concept development course in Abu Dhabi lasting approximately between one (1) week and ten (10) days. During this period, Image Nation will directly cover the cost of half board accommodation at a location selected by Image Nation in its sole discretion;
b. a residential full-time “filmmaking boot camp” in Abu Dhabi lasting approximately two (2) weeks. During this period, Image Nation will directly cover the cost of half board accommodation at a location selected by Image Nation in its sole discretion;
c. a residential full-time editing course in Abu Dhabi, lasting approximately between three (3) days and one (1) week. During this period, Image Nation will directly cover the cost of half board accommodation at a location selected by Image Nation in its sole discretion;
d. an individual online component, including mandatory (online or face to face) weekly feedback sessions, assignments and coursework, each as determined by Image Nation and/or its designees in their sole discretion. This stage is expected to take place after the Competition stages set forth above; and
e. shooting a film with a duration between seven (7) and ten (10) minutes (including opening and end credits) which must be submitted by the deadline determined by Image Nation in its sole discretion.
13. Each Final Entrant for the AFS Scriptwriting Competition must participate in the following competition stages:
- a residential full-time course in Abu Dhabi lasting approximately three (3) weeks. During this period, Image Nation will directly cover the cost of half board accommodation at a location selected by Image Nation in its sole discretion;
- an individual online component, including mandatory (online or face to face) weekly feedback sessions, assignments and coursework, each as determined by Image Nation and/or its designees in their sole discretion. This stage is expected to take place after the residential full time-course described above and until final delivery of the Final Draft.
- a Pitching Coaching Workshop in Dubai, lasting approximately two (2) days. During this period, Image Nation and its partners will directly cover the cost of half board accommodation at a location selected by Image Nation and its partners in its sole discretion;
- Final Entrants must be available to attend the Dubai International Film Festival, in December 2018.
14.The winner of each Competition (the “Winning Entrant”) will be decided by Image Nation and/or its designees/partners in their sole discretion, and any such decision is final and binding on the Entrants and cannot be appealed.
15.The Winning Entrants of each of the AFS Narrative Competition and the AFS Documentary Competition will be announced at the Arab Film Studio Awards Ceremonies, on dates to be determined by Image Nation in its sole discretion. Participants that fail to attend the Awards Ceremony/Ceremonies will not be entitled to any award.
16. The Winning Entrant of the AFS Scriptwriting Competition will be announced during the Dubai International Film Festival, on dates to be determined by Image Nation and its partners in their sole discretion.
17.Image Nation and its partners reserve the right, in their sole discretion: (i) to delay notification and/or announcement of the Winning Entrants; (ii) to delay the use of any Prize until proof of eligibility and identity has been confirmed; and/or (iii) to disqualify any Entrant from any Competition.
18.Each Winning Entrant is required to co-operate with Image Nation and its partners to publicise their win as Image Nation and partners deem appropriate.
19.Subject to all other Terms and Conditions, each Winning Entrant will be eligible to receive a Prize. Image Nation will notify each Winning Entrant how to claim their Prize. Failure to claim a Prize within the time period and in the manner specified by Image Nation may result in forfeiture of such Prize. Except as explicitly stated otherwise in these Terms and Conditions, each Entrant is solely responsible for any and all insurance, taxes, costs, expenses and charges relating to the Prize or the Competition. Prizes are non-negotiable and non-transferable and Image Nation reserves the right to change any Prize due to circumstances beyond its control or to offer an alternative prize of similar value.
20.By participating in any of the Competitions, each Entrant agrees and consents: (i) if requested by Image Nation or its partners, to appear in recorded footage of the Competition workshops, courses, challenges or film as approved by Image Nation in its sole discretion, (“the Programmes”) and to record their voice, performance, poses, acts, plays and appearances and use their picture, photograph, silhouette and other reproductions of their physical likeness and sound, without compensation, as part of the Programmes and thereafter for the unlimited distribution, advertising, promotion, exhibition and exploitation of the Programmes, without compensation, by any medium now known or hereafter invented in the future throughout the universe and in perpetuity and whether for commercial gain or otherwise; (ii) that the Programmes confer upon him/her no rights of use, ownership or copyright in the Programmes and that all intellectual property rights arising out of, or in connection with, his/her appearance in the Programmes shall immediately, on creation, vest in and become the property of Image Nation; and (iii) that Image Nation may use his/her personal information for its own purposes including, but not limited to, fulfilling requests for products and services, contacting the Entrant, conducting research, and sending the Entrant marketing email and SMS messages and/or providing the Entrant’s personal information to promotional partners and trusted third parties.
21.By participating in any of the Competitions, each Entrant: (i) warrants that all stories, films and materials created and/or submitted by Entrant during such Competition (the “Submitted Materials”) are within such Entrant’s full authority to submit, are owned by such Entrant, are wholly original to the Entrant, do not infringe the copyright, trade mark or any other intellectual, proprietary or other right whatsoever, including, but not limited to, rights of privacy or publicity of any person, firm or corporation, and are not defamatory, libellous, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, suggestive, harassing, threatening, abusive, inflammatory, fraudulent, racist or otherwise objectionable; (ii) assigns all rights in and to the Submitted Materials to Image Nation in perpetuity for no compensation and to enable Image Nation to exploit the Submitted Materials by any medium now known or hereafter invented in the future throughout the universe and in perpetuity and whether for commercial gain or otherwise; (iii) further acknowledges and agrees that, if required, he/she shall execute, do and deliver all such acts, deeds and instruments as Image Nation may from time to time require for the purpose of confirming or further assuring Image Nation’s title to the Submitted Materials and to give effect to this paragraph; and (iv) further acknowledges and agrees that Image Nation or its successor(s), licensee(s), or assign(s) shall be deemed to have a power of attorney to execute any document or do any such act in the Entrant’s place for the purpose of confirming or further assuring Image Nation’s title to the Submitted Materials and to give effect to this paragraph, and such appointment shall be deemed a power coupled with an interest with full rights of delegation and substitution, and shall be irrevocable under any and all circumstances.
22.Image Nation has made all reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Competitions are conducted using reasonable skill and care. However, no warranties are made whatsoever in relation to the accuracy, suitability, reliability, completeness or otherwise of the Competitions.
23.Image Nation reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to rule on any circumstances which are unforeseen or beyond its control in whatever way Image Nation deems most appropriate (including the cancellation or postponement of the Competitions or changes to these Terms and Conditions) in order to reach an equitable solution for the Entrants. Any decision to be made by Image Nation pursuant to these Terms and Conditions will be announced as soon as reasonably practicable after such a decision has been reached. No correspondence will be entered into by Image Nation in respect of such a decision, which will be final and binding in all respects.
24.These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the federal laws of the UAE as applied in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, and Entrant hereby submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Abu Dhabi in connection with any dispute that may arise regarding any aspect of any Competition or these Terms and Conditions.
25.Image Nation shall not be liable for its failure to fully perform its obligations under any Competition, if and to the extent that such failure is due to reasons of force majeure or changes in law or regulations or any other occurrence beyond Image Nation’s reasonable control.
26.Image Nation reserves the right to cancel, suspend or amend the Competitions or these Terms and Conditions without notice. Any changes will be posted on the Website. It is the Entrant’s responsibility to ensure that he/she reviews these Terms and Conditions regularly to familiarize himself/herself with any changes. The Entrant’s participation in the any Competition following the posting of changes to these Terms and Conditions means the Entrant accepts such changes. The Entrant should print and store or save a copy of these Terms and Conditions for future reference.
27.If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is held to be unlawful, void or unenforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in place.